Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Water



“Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It is called Rain” (Kinkade-Levario 2007, 1). 
Wow, we have to use big words to make it seem that it's something new. My husband is the landscaper and gardener of my house. He does depend on the rain to water our grass and his plants but unfortunately has to use a hose sometimes. Actually, one of the bills that I do keep a close eye on is our water bill. I think how can we be using so much water when our bill goes up. Then my husband hears it. :) I think a lot more of us have to really consider having rain barrels to use for plants and landscape. Actually my husband does re-use rain water from a bucket that he keeps by our pool. As it fills up he pours it on the plants by the pool, at least we are making some type of effort. It's a shame the we don't take water shortage as serious as we should. It's like the saying goes, "you don't know what you have until you lose it."

Photo by physics.stackexchange.com

"El Laguno del Espiritu Santo" (Stoneman Douglas, 105).

"The lake of the Holy Spirit" is what it translates to. Is it spiritual? Godly? Why did the Spaniards see it as such? Mysterious is how the book describes the Everglades and to it is mysterious. Having lived in Naples all of my life I have yet to take a boat ride through them. I have driven passed them but have never taken the mysterious ride. Maybe it is spiritual because no one can really see what ALL of the everglades is really like unless you're floating above them, under them or through them. I don't think we will ever know what all lives with in what is know as the Everglades. The beauty is breathtaking and maybe that is why the Spaniards considered them spiritual.


Photo by visittheusa.com

Water Footprint:

Not to bad on my results, below the US average. So I'll take the results as a plus, especially since my last footprint I was consuming 2 1/2 planets. My highest area was in virtual water, meaning in everything that isn't in or around my house but instead what we drive and eat. I'll credit my results to my husband as he's the one that takes care of our landscape and makes sure that we turn the water off instead of just letting it run when washing dishes or brushing our teeth. Every bit helps. I keep an eye of the bill and let him know if it's increased so that he can watch how he uses it outside. 






Sources:
Robertson, M. (2017). Sustainability Principles and Practice. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
"The Nature of the Everglades" (p. 104-122) in the Colloquium Reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment