Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Waste




“resources in the wrong place” (Leonard 2010a, 183).

Does that mean that we are storing our resources in the wrong place or are taking them from the wrong place? I think it's a bit of both, we're taking our natural resources from the wrong places and using them for the wrong reasons. As well as storing them in the wrong places. Putting the waste back into the ground doesn't mean it's going in the right way. The resources have gone through a process that has taken it from it's original form and made it into something different with many other things in it. We have to be smarter on how are are using our resources and where we are putting them into. We have first find a way to not use the resources that will not be for long term and not waste them. We then won't need to find a place to dispose of them. Smarter not harder should be the mentality. 

Photo by slideshare.net






United States only has 4% left of our natural forest

What a complete shame, we will soon be out of oxygen if we are to continue on this road. We keep "needing" more buildings and roads but who will be around to use them if we run out of oxygen. The trees are what keeps us going whether we know it or not. Sure there are plants but if we are getting rid of trees the plants aren't going to be enough. When are we going to stop "needing" and start "doing" to ensure that we are able to be around to use the things that we are "needing". I for one didn't realize that only had 4% of our forest left. Probably because it's not something that is talked about it. Big businesses and government don't want us to know. Of course because it's "not happening" it's our imagination or there are trees in other countries that will keep us going. But why should we be the ones to benefit when we have been the ones who have taken them away. Why should other countries have to share with us when we don't always play nice? 

Photo by calibus

Perceived obsolescence

I think the majority of us are victims of perceived obsolescence. I mean everyone wants the latest iPhone, we have to keep up with everyone else. I'm guilty to a point as somethings I don't see that I need and works the same as the one before. At least with my phone, I still have the iPhone 6 as it works just fine. Actually I have done that with all of my phones. I use them until they don't work and then I get the one my children left behind. On the other hand I like to have newer shoes which puts me in the category of following the trend. Even when the shoes I own are in perfect condition. While I'm a victim I would like to believe that I'm not as bad as those who need to have everything that's "in". But guilty is guilty!

Photo by tasstudent.com


Resources: 
APA (American Psychological Assoc.)
Robertson, M. (2017). Sustainability Principles and Practice. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment